cc-licenses - Van Helsing and the Public Domain

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sigmascape1 AT cs.com
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Van Helsing and the Public Domain
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 10:09:48 -0400

Hi folks!

I have not seen the new Van Helsing movie, but I've read some good reviews
and some not-so-good reviews. I realize that this movie is not related to CC
licensing, but I had to bring up the fact that this is an excellent example
of how important the Public Domain really is. Abraham Van Helsing is in the
public domain (from Stoker's book). The movie's lead character is 'Gabriel
Van Helsing,' a totally new product from the studio responsible for the
making the movie.

It just shows how a studio (or any company or person) can build on existing
concepts and content, and how important it is to control the length of
copyrights.

Thanks!

Mitch Featherston