cc-licenses - Re: Strange Creative Commons Licence problem.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Strange Creative Commons Licence problem.
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:24:06 +0100

On Friday, April 16, 2004, at 07:34AM, Greg London <email AT greglondon.com>
wrote:

>(2) I would suggest that people will contribute to such a project
>regardless of license. or to put another way, if people do NOT
>contribute to your project, it probably won't be because of
>your licensing. You are effectively setting up a "Gift Economy"
>to exchange ideas freely. so to encourage and draw people willing
>to contribute to a "Barn Raising" of role-playing-game information,
>use a Gift Economy license, like CC-SA.
>
>(3) have you looked at the Open-Gaming-License?

The OGL isn't suitable for this sort of thing, it's more for rules. Now, if
people are going to be posting rules, it might make sense to insist they're
OGL. "All content posed CC, all rules posted OGL"

See Steve Jackson Games' site's terms and conditions for some of the legal
side of things for this sort of site. It's closed content, but they're
suitably paranoid about third-party ideas. :-)

- Rob.