cc-licenses - Re: Strange Creative Commons Licence problem.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Strange Creative Commons Licence problem.
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 02:34:49 -0400 (EDT)

Brian Boyko said:
> I'm about to start a site about roleplaying games - the tabletop kind.
> One of the projects I'd like to do is take the "nuggets" of the forum,
> and post them in a monthly or quarterly "best of" PDF.
>
> What I would like to do is require those who sign up to the forum to
> agree to an "opt-out" creative commons license that has the attribution
> and share-alike provisions. If a person does not want a specific post
> under the Creative Commons licence, I'd like them to have to say that
> in the post "This work is not governed by the Creative Commons
> License." If a particular poster (for whatever reason) wants to retain
> the copyright to ALL his work (including offhand comments) he can
> simply put that statement into his signature file.
>
> I'll muddle through the technical details, but how would I go about
> finding a licence like that?

(1) You've got the licenses. Your posters would simply choose
CC-BY-SA or "All Rights Reserved".

(2) I would suggest that people will contribute to such a project
regardless of license. or to put another way, if people do NOT
contribute to your project, it probably won't be because of
your licensing. You are effectively setting up a "Gift Economy"
to exchange ideas freely. so to encourage and draw people willing
to contribute to a "Barn Raising" of role-playing-game information,
use a Gift Economy license, like CC-SA.

(3) have you looked at the Open-Gaming-License?

(4) for technical details, have you looked at using a wiki
to implement your site?