cc-licenses - Allowing Commercial Use While Preserving NonCommercial Rights

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Neil Wehneman <neil AT wehneman.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Allowing Commercial Use While Preserving NonCommercial Rights
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 17:46:44 -0400

Greetings All,

I recently placed all of my writing (plug: www.fallinggrace.com) under a
CC license, specifically NonCommercial-Attribution.

What I would like to do is basically offer two licenses: the
NonCommercial-Attribution license and a license that allows Commercial
use and derivatives.

The key that I want is for the NonCommercial rights to flow with
Commercial uses. An example is if some recording company pays a band to
cover a song I wrote, I have no problem with them selling that without
additional permission from or compensation to me (beyond attribution),
so long as people who buy that recording have the right to do whatever
they want with it for NonCommercial purposes (even giving it away to a
few hundred thousand of their closest friends).

Is there a way to handle this with existing CC Licenses?

- Neil Wehneman