cc-licenses - commercial performance under at-nc-sa

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Andrew Gianni" <andrew AT originaltraditional.net>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: commercial performance under at-nc-sa
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 17:04:02 -0500

A question was posed by a composer a couple of months ago as to
differentiation between various commercial uses of compositions. I have
just launched a new Web site (www.originaltraditional.net) that was
developed as a resource for composers of music influenced by the world's
folks traditions. I am offering them the ability to assign creative
commons licenses through the site, and while the at-nc-sa license seems
to come closest to what most musicians are looking for, I'm not sure it
quite cuts it. Like the previous poster, we aren't expecting to receive
royalties if our works are performed (often by our colleagues at dances)
but would like to be compensated if our compositions are recorded or
possibly if they are published in print.

What I've told a few folks who have asked me about this is that while
there is a little bit of a conundrum about this, it is definitely a step
in the right direction and they would have the same issue if they just
slapped copyright on it. With at-nc-sa they can make sure that others
feel free to make copies and distribute the composition.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Does the at-nc-sa license
realistically restrict performers from charging for their performances?

Andrew

---

Andrew Gianni - Technologist
New Kenmore Nonprofit IT Strategies