cc-licenses - Re: NoDerivatives

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Wouter Vanden Hove <wouter.vanden.hove AT pandora.be>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: NoDerivatives
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:45:21 +0100

Op do 18-03-2004, om 11:13 schreef Evan Prodromou:
> I have a quick question about ND content.
>
> Some Open Source software is not modifiable -- you're not allowed to
> change the source, even if it's available to you. TeX is a good
> example. But you _can_ distribute patch files along with the source,
> and end users can use the patches to modify the source themselves.
>
> I take it that this isn't possible with ND content. Even if the
> document remains unmodified during redistribution,

> the patch would be a derivative work.
No.
for example, you distribute a ND picture + a recipe how to apply some
edits or filters in a photo editing program.

The recipe is not a derived work of the picture, but the result is.
But with ND you can't distribute the picture, or even put it on your own
website.

> Or the patch + document would be a derivative work.
Yes, sort of.
the resulting document of applying the patch to the document is the
derivative work.

Wouter, IANAL