cc-licenses - Re: software licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: gslondon AT greglondon.com
  • To: "selussos" <mgr AT x-oz.com>, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: software licenses
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 14:46:00 -0500 (EST)

looking at http://www.x-oz.com/licenses.html

: Copyright © 2003, 2004 X-Oz Technologies. All Rights Reserved.
<snip>
: Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
: notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer.

uhm, you require redistributions to retain the copyright notice,
but the copyright notice says "All Rights Reserved". "ARR" is
a license that says the Author is witholding all rights
to Copy, Distribute, and Create Derived Works.
I think you want to take "all rights reserved" off of that page.

: The end-user documentation included with the redistribution,
: if any, must include the following acknowledgment:
: "This product includes software developed by X-Oz Technologies
: (http://www.x-oz.com/)."

> I was looking at the Sleepycat.com site and I see that I links to CC for a
> human understandable version of their license, yet no where on CC do you
> really say that you cover Software.
> I would like to use the http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/ to
> explain our
> license in plain English but should I or would that be misleading?

uhm, that would be confusing.

I read your license, and I have a suggestion
(I am not a lawyer, this it not legal advice,
I am not a member of Creative Commons)

Use an OSI approved license so you can
apply the "OSI-Certified" Trademark to your
software distribution.

http://www.opensource.org

It looks like your license pretty much
gives away all rights, but requires
the attribution with the URL. I'm not
familiar with all the OSI approved licenses,
but one license that might fit is:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/lucent1.02.php

A quick email to OpenSource.org would tell you
if you could use the lucent license adn do a
search and replace with your company nam/address.