cc-licenses - translations of CC licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jean-Christophe Barnoud <barnoud AT 1839.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: translations of CC licenses
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:55:30 +0100

I may get things wrong, but I understand the translation effort of the CC licenses as not only translating but also adapting them to the legal framework of different countries. If this is right, it is quite different from the unofficial translations of the GPL and similar texts and raises -at least- two questions :

1. Will we see conflicts between a US-English share-alike license and a (for instance) France-French share-alike license for a derivative work ?

2. How do we handle links to the licences from multilingual contents (for instance the same web page in two different languages) if the English language and (for instance) French language licenses are not exact translations ?