cc-licenses - Re: Future-proofing CC Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Future-proofing CC Licenses
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:11:01 -0800

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:13:45 -0400, "Evan Prodromou"
<evan AT wikitravel.org> said:
> But this _is_ a good point. Copyright lasts for on the order of 100
> years; the Web has been around for on the order of 10 years. It's kind
> of naive to expect things in 2013 to be anything like they are in
> 2003. In 1993, if I wanted to tell you how to get to an electronic
> document, I would have given you the name of the CompuServe forum it
> was in. Now, nobody knows what CompuServe was.

I said things were located on an ftp server in some directory back then.
That'd still work now, if I'd stayed with the ISP I was using. I don't
think it's quite fair to compare the web to compuserve, but point taken.

> I wonder if there's any way to keep the great convenience of an URL
> reference for the license, but still future-proof the CC licenses for
> when URLs, or the Web, or whatever, don't exist.

If you want to confuse people you could publish a hash of the license. I
don't think it's publicized anywhere, but we do publish the hex-encoded
SHA1 hash of the legalcode for each license, e.g.,
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/legalcode-checksum>.
--
Mike Linksvayer