cc-licenses - Re: Or Any Later Version

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Or Any Later Version
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:21:52 -0800

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:08:24 -0400, "Evan Prodromou"
<evan AT wikitravel.org> said:
> So, how can I say that I trust Creative Commons to make good
> decisions about licenses, and to continue to improve them? Right now,
> I'm pretty sure that if a by-sa 1.1 came out, people couldn't build
> Derivative Works off of my work and use the new license.

ShareAlike's incompatibility with any other license, including future
versions of itself, is a problem with the 1.0 licenses. A revision
should address "or any later version" and possibly offer more
compatibility with other copyleft-style licenses. *-sa users will really
want to upgrade. In this case, that's the cost of continuing to improve.
--
Mike Linksvayer

  • Or Any Later Version, Evan Prodromou, 08/14/2003
    • Re: Or Any Later Version, Mike Linksvayer, 08/19/2003