cc-licenses - Re: Derivative Work License Compatibility Calculator

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Derivative Work License Compatibility Calculator
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:40:34 -0400

Me> So, Alice does a song [...]

ML> It's ok. Vice versa is not.

Sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear that those were examples
illustrating the need for clear info on how derivative works can be
re-licensed, not actually questions.

Me> It would be nice to know which licenses can apply to derivative
Me> works of works under other licenses, wouldn't it?

ML> Yep, it's on our TODO list.

OK, so, here's my inexpert analysis. (Note that not only am I not a
lawyer, I'm not even particularly bright. Anyone foolish enough to
take my crack-addled babblings as legal advice deserves whatever
hellstorm is coming to them.)

Attribution -> Attribution
-> Attribution-NoDerivs
-> Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial
-> Attribution-NonCommercial
-> Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
-> Attribution-ShareAlike
-> GNU Free Documentation License
Attribution-NoDerivs -> [none]
Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial -> [none]
Attribution-NonCommercial -> Attribution-NonCommercial
-> Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs
-> Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike -> Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
Attribution-ShareAlike -> Attribution-ShareAlike
NoDerivs -> [none]
NoDerivs-NonCommercial -> [none]
NonCommercial -> NonCommercial
-> NoDerivs-NonCommercial
-> Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial
-> Attribution-NonCommercial
-> Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
NonCommercial-ShareAlike -> NonCommercial-ShareAlike
ShareAlike -> ShareAlike

I'm not sure about all of those. The *ShareAlike* and *NoDerivs* ones
are easy; it's the Attribution, NonCommercial, and
Attribution-NonCommercial that are a little dicey.

ML> p.s. I'll let someone else answer your "or any later version"
ML> question.

OK, thanks. If it gets to Monday and nobody's come in on it, though,
please don't leave me hangin'.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>