cc-licenses - Re: Derivative Work License Compatibility Calculator

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Derivative Work License Compatibility Calculator
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 08:36:42 -0800

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:47:00 -0400, "Evan Prodromou"
<evan AT wikitravel.org> said:
> So, Alice does a song and puts it under an Attribution license. Bob
> does a DJ mix of the song and puts his derivative work under an
> Attribution-ShareAlike. Is that OK? Is that not OK?

It's ok. Vice versa is not.

> Carla writes a thesis paper on compiler design and puts it under an
> Attribution license. David uses parts of the thesis in his
> documentation for David's Kool Kompiler (DKK), which he puts under the
> GNU FDL. Is that OK? Is that not OK?

I think it'd be ok, so long as Carla's attribution and notice of the
Attribution license is preserved -- assuming the GFDL isn't incompatible
with such requirements.

Regarding my comments above, IANAL, etc.

> It would be nice to know which licenses can apply to derivative works
> of works under other licenses, wouldn't it? Maybe a little tree
> diagram on the Web site somewhere, that lists the CC licenses (plus
> maybe the recommended GFDL), and what licenses can be applied to
> derivative works.

Yep, it's on our TODO list.

> It might also be nice to have the "choose license" tool:
>
> http://creativecommons.org/license/
>
> ...have a field for an URL to a Work that my work might be derived
> from. The tool could scrape the RDF (or ID3, whatever) at that
> location and determine what license I can put my Derivative Work
> under. Wouldn't that be helpful?

Yes, and it corresponds with two things I intend to do:

* License RDF info/validation service: enter a URL, service tells you
what RDF available at URL says.

* Adding source work to suggested optional work metadata, which I believe
would appear in the RDF as dc:source.

Thanks for your comments!

Mike

p.s. I'll let someone else answer your "or any later version" question.
--
Mike Linksvayer