cc-eyebeam - Re: [cc-eyebeam] Re: Welcome to Distributed Creativity

cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19

  • From: Joline_Blais AT umit.maine.edu
  • To: cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-eyebeam] Re: Welcome to Distributed Creativity
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:48:29 -0500 (EST)

Hi Heather
Thanks for widening the perspective of this
discussion.

> What I'd really like to see is that
developing countries use Creative
> Commons licenses - and distributed
creativity models - to become actively
> engaged in the culture-making process. If
people use the licenses to adapt
> content to local contexts (and I think that
this feature is essential to
> the success of cc in the developing world)
then it can become very useful
> to the culture industry in South Africa.

While it may be interesting "to adapt
content to local contexts" , an even more
interesting model would be to stimulate
production of local content not only with
legal licenses, but with architecture or
environments or software that will promote
communities of artists coming together to
share ideas, materials, and support.

There are a few models that do this: Opus
Commons (run by Sarai based in India),
runme.org (software art), and The Pool (an
architecture for distributed creativity
launching 12/3 here, as a featured project).

Augusto Boal's experiments in performance to
generate a revolutionary community-based art,
also provides some models for imagining a
culture tied to real and local politics
("Theater for the Oppressed")

It would be interesting to imagine what kinds
of different architectures and support
structures would works across a variety of
differnt cultural and political contexts.
What would be needed in South Africa? What
tools are currently available to trigger
these kinds of "creative communities"?