cc-eyebeam - [cc-eyebeam] copyright and the developing world

cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19

  • From: john AT dx.org
  • To: cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-eyebeam] copyright and the developing world
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:05:30 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I think you make some excellent points Heather.
Because whereas most of the discourse about IP
has focused on the 'danger' of copyright
infringement to content creators, there has been
almost no acknowledgement that the global
dynamics of cultural consumption are profoundly
weighted in favour of that same group of
'threatened' IP-owners, consisting largely of a
handful of trans-national corporate content
brokers that dominate the international market
for copyrighted content. In other words, the
hegemony of cultural copyright law is just one of
many tools with which to maintain an inequitable
economic pyramid that keeps people like Black
South Africans (among billions of others) at the
bottom of the pile. So while I think Creative
Commons is doing terrific and very useful work, I
am personally interested in understanding how
practical economic models of cultural exchange
aligned with digital values and tools can be
implemented in developing nations to facilitate
the flattening of that pyramid. Clearly this is
a long-term proposition but I am curious if
anyone can offer examples of first steps that are
currently being taken to link the kind of viable
micro-economy enabled by the Creative Commons
licenses to macro-economic systems in developing
nations.

I hope this isn't too off-topic.

best wishes,

John Sobol