cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] Is it "copyright protects" or "copyright limits use"?

  • From: Gisle Hannemyr <gisle AT ifi.uio.no>
  • To: <cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] Is it "copyright protects" or "copyright limits use"?
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 17:51:09 +0200

I'm with Tarmo on this one.

I think we should acknowledge *both* aspects of copyright, and try
to not be overly partisan about it.

There are plenty of organizations that try to persuade the public
about the evils of copyright (e.g. EFF, FSF, the entire "piracy"
and "kopimi" movements, etc). If that is very you heart is,
align yourself with one of those!

There are also plenty of of organizations that try to persuade
the public about the blessing of copyright (e.g. IFPI, MPAA,
BSA, most collection societies and author organizations).
If that is very you heart is, align yourself with one of those!

I've always felt alienated by that argument of such advocacy groups.

I initially aligned myself with the Creative Commons movement
because I felt that it was an entity that was prepared to respect
my rights as a creator to protect my work or share it for free,
and provide me (and others) wuth the legal tools to do so, and
I hope that the Creative Commons movement wil continue in that
tradition.

So please do not go overboard and change every occurance of
"protected by copyright" into "restricted by copyright". Remember
that the very integrity of our licenses are protected by copyright,
not restricted by it.