cc-europe - Re: [CC-Europe] Is it "copyright protects" or "copyright limits use"?

  • From: Diane Peters <diane AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl>
  • Cc: "cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [CC-Europe] Is it "copyright protects" or "copyright limits use"?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 06:21:33 -0700

Hi Maarten,

A quick note from over here.  Since the days of Mike L. who is an advocate of such positioning and with whom many of us wholeheartedly agree, we've tried to incorporate more consistently the notion of "copyright restrictions" or variations thereon in our main FAQs, our blog posts, our webpages, and other messaging.  At times it can be hard to incorporate, and our learning has been it cannot always be achieved depending on audience or particular usage.  But we do try to be intentional with each usage, and use as a default "otherwise restricted by ©" or similar when possible.  This speaks to the point of view of the reuser -- the public -- often considered secondary instead of primary where copyright is concerned.

Eager to watch how this thread develops to see if there are ways we can improve or coordinate on messaging.

Diane