cc-europe - [Cc-europe] Fwd: [CCi] CC staff/CCi MIT/Berkman@10 meeting notes

  • From: Paul Keller <pk AT kl.nl>
  • To: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-europe] Fwd: [CCi] CC staff/CCi MIT/Berkman@10 meeting notes
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 08:52:00 +0200

guess all of you are on the cci list anyway, but in case someone is not, here are the notes i mentioned on sunday....
/paul

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
Date: 28 May 2008 02:41:51 GMT+02:00
Subject: [CCi] CC staff/CCi MIT/Berkman@10 meeting notes

Hi all,

As mentioned a few weeks ago, several CC staff people and CCi project leads planned to attend http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/berkmanat10 so we decided to take advantage of this and have an ad hoc meeting the day before. Science Commons found us a conference room near their office at MIT. Additional project leads arrived in the evening (including from Brazil, Italy, and Slovenia) and we were able to have two excellent group dinners, again organized by Science Commons.

We had a pretty wide ranging discussion at the Wednesday afternoon meeting, notes captured by Diane Cabell below. I must emphasize that all of the below are discussion points, possibily the opinion of one or more of the meeting participants, and definitely not policy. I do hope these notes stimulate some discussion, online and/or at upcoming events. To the extent possible I plan to move ahead on the action items, on which I'm sure you'll be seeing more from me, others, and you. :)

Thanks,

Mike

Notes from Meeting with CC International Affiliates at MIT

Notes: D. Cabell

CCi Affiliates: Paul Keller (Netherlands), Melanie Dulong de Rosnay (France), Renata Avila (Guatemala)

CC Staff: Mike Linksvayer (CC VP), John Wilbanks (SC VP), Catharina Maracke (CCi Director), Ahrash Bissell (ccLearn ED), Diane Peters (GC), Diane Cabell (Corporate Counsel)

A. Discussion

Affiliates need warning when new licenses coming out and more information generally; would appreciate a call for support/input before new projects are launched. Affiliates want to help, but don't know what is going on at HQ. Noncommercial study is ideal for that kind of input.

Concerns included the following.

  1. Desire a greater role in governance or more formalized advisory input. CC is a global organization with a US-centric board.

  2. More coordinated messaging needed

    • Affiliates provide useful input/feedback at the international level

    • Not enough distinction between CCi and iCommons.

    • Online communications don't have a project lead, so contributions are disorganized.

    • Good model is Global Voices – regional editors paid. Small grants for best proposals for projects that will make a difference.

    • Not interested in another listserv

  3. Collaborative efforts need more organization

    • Want to self-organize, but need more direction/modeling, especially on authorized vs. unauthorized activities

    • Can help identify high-quality/high-performing collaborators; need to work on reputational mechanisms

    • Quicker response time to inquiries

    • Suggest proceeding regionally or thematically

      1. Many jurisdictions have uniform laws; would like to partner with organizations that work on harmonization.

      2. Organize around themes or regions in lieu of iSummit (e.g., 3 days perhaps 2 themes, short papers/presentations by affiliates)

    • Project lead performance is inconsistent, with various levels of commitment

      1. Replace leads if they haven't done anything useful and do not encourage broader participation which excludes many potential supporters

      2. Clarify levels of commitment; ask when more effort is needed but do not assume it can be offered

      3. Credit and networking is the reward, not a free trip to Summit

    • Get support for proposed changes from larger affiliate community.

  4. Give iCommons notice (at July Summit) if CC isn't going forward with support for future iSummits. Equity - reward the hard workers; don't subsidize newcomers at their expense. Tension over subsidies.

  5. Refer to international personnel by the more professional designation of "affiliates" rather than as "volunteers".

  6. Need assistance with fundraising.

    • Tutorial presented by John Wilbanks, et al. on fundraising skills

    • Specific collaborative projects submitted to granting agencies for funding

B. Proposed action items

  1. Develop CC roadmap (project launches, goals, and events) through 2009 for affiliates by end of June 2008 so that affiliates can give feedback and add their own items.

  2. Develop a general policy statement regarding the hoped-for relationship with the various CCi projects going forward. This would be a general call for greater participation and harmonization of communications among the CC projects and CC HQ.

    • Establish affiliate consultation mechanisms to provide early input in project process

    • Messaging: these are partners and should be respected as such (language)

    • Lobbying in Europe- clarify what affiliates can/cannot engage in; add guidance to Affiliate agreements.
  1. Develop a proposal that clarifies the procedure going forward for enabling joint projects and collaborations among and within CCi projects and CC HQ. This proposal would also discuss the opportunities for seeking or leveraging funding, if needed. Ideally, we should be able to use existing technologies to provide a manageable forum for project proposals and subsequent discussion.

  2. Explore opportunities for non-global meetings for project leads; present this at July iSummit; append CCi element whenever gathering for other purposes.