cc-education - Re: [cc-education] Intended Meaning of "Non-Commercial"

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Chris Lott <chris.lott AT gmail.com>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] Intended Meaning of "Non-Commercial"
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:25:42 -0800

On Apr 5, 2005 5:46 PM, Mia Garlick <mia AT creativecommons.org> wrote:

> Just to clarify a topic that has been the subject of some discussion on this
> list over recent days - the intended meaning of non-commercial as drafted in
> the CC-NC licenses is any use in a for-profit environment. The drafting of
> the license was intended to avoid any distinctions based on whether money
> changed hands or a profit was actually made. The relevant factor to
> consider is whether the entity making use of the work has profit as its
> primary motive.
>
> Hope this clarifies things rather than raises more questions!

Not really, since this is what Stephen Downes already said which
prompted the original question. So, is the "primary motive" of
University of Phoenix (which has been part of the discussions here) to
make a profit?

This doesn't seem like a very objective indicator on the face of it,
though it does afford us the ability to go with our intuition :)

Chris Lott