cc-education - [cc-education] Agree to disagree?

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Steve Foerster <steve AT chrysology.com>
  • To: cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-education] Agree to disagree?
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 22:17:15 -0400

Friends,

Rather than discuss ad nauseum who is right or wrong when it comes to
commercial use of educational materials, perhaps we should take a step
back and recognise that the discussion itself conclusively demonstrates
that one size does not fit all when it comes to licensing educational
material. To me, there seems to be no emerging consensus, either on NC
or on ND/SA.

Perhaps, then, rather than trying to pick one of the licenses as "the"
educational license and leaving the others disenfranchised, it would
make more sense to have a special license selector for educators that
used examples and explanations geared toward the educational community,
and have this selector suggest one of the existing licenses.

Besides, this would be the best way to put the decision-making power
back into the creators' hands, where it belongs.

-=Steve=-

--
Stephen H. Foerster
Free Curricula Centre