cc-education - Re: [cc-education] Intended Meaning of "Non-Commercial"

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <david.wiley AT gmail.com>
  • To: Chris Lott <chris.lott AT gmail.com>, development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] Intended Meaning of "Non-Commercial"
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:54:42 -0600

On Apr 6, 2005 12:25 AM, Chris Lott <chris.lott AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2005 5:46 PM, Mia Garlick <mia AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
> >

> > Just to clarify a topic that has been the subject of some discussion on
> > this
> > list over recent days - the intended meaning of non-commercial as drafted
> > in
> > the CC-NC licenses is any use in a for-profit environment. The drafting
> > of
> > the license was intended to avoid any distinctions based on whether money
> > changed hands or a profit was actually made. The relevant factor to
> > consider is whether the entity making use of the work has profit as its
> > primary motive.
> >
> > Hope this clarifies things rather than raises more questions!
>
> Not really, since this is what Stephen Downes already said which
> prompted the original question. So, is the "primary motive" of
> University of Phoenix (which has been part of the discussions here) to
> make a profit?

Actually, it should clarify it a great deal, since Stephen's response
was a non-lawyer's opinion and Mia's response is Creative Commons
General Counsel's interpretation of the language. As pointed out in
Karen's response, determining whether or not an organization is
for-profit or not is a rather straightforward process.

I sincerely hope that the official word from one of Creative Commons'
own lawyers will wind down the "what does NC mean?" part of our
conversation.