cc-education - Re: [cc-education] A radical alternative proposal

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Zachary Chandler <zechandl AT colby.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] A radical alternative proposal
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:30:59 -0400

Quoting Laura Lynch <llynch AT stanford.edu>:

> I'm wondering if this
> newly licensed material could become even more useful to educators.
> What if the licensor was given the option to include a lesson plan or
> project idea with their work?

ZC: I think here we are treading near learning object territory, but perhaps
we
should. I find the possibilities of CC/learning object linkage very exciting,
and I think it's an idea that will catch on quickly. My only concern is that
learning object praxis is still an emerging and contested field, with vying
metadata schemae, terminology, etc. Should CC do one thing very well, or
attempt to incorporate new functionality? I am inclined toward the former
position, but perhaps that is short-sighted.

> So far the team has expressed curiosity about the implementation of
> this option/license. Would works licensed as education friendly be
> highlighted by a new logo? If so, what would it look like?

ZC: The idea of a regular CC button with a different color seemed well-liked.
(Wouter started the thread: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-education/
2003-August/000009.html). I didn't comment on it before, but I like the idea.
think the candidates were orange, crimson, or navy?

</two cents>

Zach

Zachary Chandler
Language Technology Consultant