cc-education - RE: [cc-education] A radical alternative proposal

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: George Siemens <GSiemens AT rrc.mb.ca>
  • To: 'development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons' <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [cc-education] A radical alternative proposal
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:16:02 -0500

"What if we simply "rebranded" the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
license the "Educational Use license," got a different colored icon, and
took advantage of the name and icon change to make marketing inroads
with educators?"

I like the idea. Marketing and awareness is the biggest challenge. I feel
the existing CC licenses cover the needs of most educators.

Curious: David, obviously, this is a big change from the original proposal
(and I think a positive one)...but how does this relate to the posts you've
made previously about the needs of some educators, due to the nature of
their work, to be able to limit the license only for educational use. One of
the main premises of the original proposal was the exclusion of
non-education uses. Are you dropping that requirement? Intending to include
in the future? Or how is that need expressed in the "new" version? (I'm
assuming noncommercial still allows military use, as an example)

george