cc-ca - Re: [Cc-ca] Creative Commons on CBC/Radio Canada?

cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Canada

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Marcus Bornfreund <marcus AT law-share.net>
  • Cc: cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-ca] Creative Commons on CBC/Radio Canada?
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:49:36 -0400

On Tue, 2005-12-07 at 15:44 -0400, Marcus Bornfreund wrote:

> Creative Commons Canada is now in the process of renewing its strategy
> to encourage CBC to adopt an open access model for its content.
> Strengthened by recent public consciousness of the benefits of open
> access and the BBC's example, I hope that we will prove to be
> persuasive in the near future.

This is excellent to hear.

My main wonderment: I wonder if there's an opportunity to put together a
coalition to push this agenda. Are there other organisations that would
be interested in moving CBC/Radio Canada towards more liberal copyright
policy (perhaps a CC 2.x Canada-style license?)? Would a coalition of
such organisations working together make more of an impact?

I also think that there's an opportunity to have some influence from the
public sector side. There's a strong argument to be made that the
public's funding should be spent in the public's interest. And, of
course, consumers and audience are important to any broadcaster; perhaps
organise audience members, letter-writing campaigns, etc.?

It's always seemed to me that multi-pronged efforts, with an outside
element (barbarians at the gates!) and an inside one (we can help you
appease those barbarians!) can be extremely effective in getting
slow-moving dinosaurs to lumber in the direction you want them to.

~Evan