cc-ca - Re: [Cc-ca] Open Access in Canada

cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Canada

  • From: Darren Wershler-Henry <darren AT alienated.net>
  • To: Creative Common Canada <cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-ca] Open Access in Canada
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:56:33 -0400

This is timely ...

I just had a discussion with Kim Sawchuck, current editor of The Canadian
Journal of Communications. She expressed interest in doing an issue on
F/OSS; I responded that if I participated, it'd be explicitly to point out
the journal's own regressive copyright policy (which espouses openness
despite the ceding of copyright AND the firewalling of all significant
content behind a cash-subscription-only barrier):

"Submission of an original manuscript to the Journal will be taken to mean
that it represents original work not previously published, that it is not
being considered elsewhere for publication; that the author is willing to
assign copyright to the journal as per a contract that will be sent to the
author just prior to publication and, if accepted for publication, it will
not be published elsewhere in the same form, in any language, without the
consent of the editor.

The journal takes the stance that the publication of scholarly research is
meant to disseminate knowledge and, in a not-for-profit regime, benefits
neither publisher nor author financially. It sees itself as having an
obligation to its authors and to society to make content available online
now that the technology allows for such a possibility. At the same, were an
author who contributed to the journal prior to the journal putting in place
an explicit request for online rights to request that his or her work be
removed from the CJC-Online website, the journal would remove the work."

<http://www.cjc-online.ca/submissions.php#copyright>

Kim is open to discussing the issue of the journal's copyright policy, but
suggested the discussion would probably have to wait a year for the Annual
General Meeting. Meantime, I'm going to push for the special issue on open
source models, and will leave a notice here if the project goes ahead.

cheers,

Darren