cc-ca - [Cc-ca] Message from Andy Kaplan-Myrth

cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Canada

  • From: Marcus Bornfreund <marcus AT uottawa.ca>
  • To: cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-ca] Message from Andy Kaplan-Myrth
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:01:58 -0400

From: "Kaplan-Myrth, Andy" <akaplanmyrth AT ogilvyrenault.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:21:30
To:"Marcus Bornfreund" <marcus AT uottawa.ca>
Subject: moral rights

Hi Marcus,

I'd like to post the following text to the list, but people have been
offended by the confidentiality messages that follow. Is there any way
you can delete those paragraphs and post this? If not, I'll just post it
regardless.

My message follows:

What if I want to keep my moral rights intact?

Russell and others have said that they would not use Canadian CC
licences if they preserve moral rights.

On the other hand, if the Canadian CC licence waives moral rights by
default, then people who want to preserve their moral rights while
licensing their remaining rights to the commons will be unable to use
CC. As a result, a decision to waive moral rights by default will also
cause some people to refuse to use Canadian CC licences.

Is it really impossible to give people the choice when they select their
licence?

Andy Kaplan-Myrth
Student at Law
Ogilvy Renault
613-780-8670
akaplanmyrth AT ogilvyrenault.com

  • [Cc-ca] Message from Andy Kaplan-Myrth, Marcus Bornfreund, 07/20/2004