cc-bizcom - Re: [Cc-bizcom] Share-revenues as an alternative to Non-commercial

cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A discussion of hybrid open source and proprietary licensing models.

  • From: "David Christie" <dc AT samizdat.org>
  • To: "CC Bizcom List" <cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-bizcom] Share-revenues as an alternative to Non-commercial
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 13:56:19 -0700

Marius Amado Alves wrote:

Please point to the CopyFlex license. I looked around and did not find it.

All I could find was this "proposed terms" for an specialized instance of
it. Maybe it does not quite exist yet.

http://ccs.mit.edu/ophi/PH%20open%20licensing%20-%20Redux%2003b%20-tm.htm

From what I did find, it seems no, it will not be OSI-compliant, it will probably breach clause 6 like the rest of us. But we need to see the license to know for sure.

David Christie wrote:

I don't think CopyFlex breaches OSD clause 6, any more than the GPL does, but I may have missed something.

It doesn't seem to impose more restrictions than the GPL. As I understand it, it is a clever compromise between GPL-like and BSD-like licenses -- it has copyleft like GPL but that expires after a period of time, so the license becomes like BSD eventually.

You are quite right that we can't judge if it's OSD-compatible without a
copy of the exact license.

And sorry, I didn't mean to take this exchange private. I meant to reply to
the list but replied to you privately instead.