cc-bizcom - [Cc-bizcom] Share-revenues as an alternative to Non-commercial

cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A discussion of hybrid open source and proprietary licensing models.

  • From: "David Christie" <dc AT samizdat.org>
  • To: "CC Bizcom List" <cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-bizcom] Share-revenues as an alternative to Non-commercial
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 20:05:40 -0700

Someone on the CC Licenses list, where I first posted this, suggested it might also be relevant to the CC Bizcom list readership:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2005-May/002272.html

I'm posting a link to it rather than cross-posting the original text because there has already been some useful discussion of it on the CC Licenses list.

I can see from the Bizcom archives that there have been some related discussions re: variants of open source software licenses that retain some commercial rights for the author. The CopyFlex license that inspired the list seems like a very interesting way to approach that problem.

I particularly like the way CopyFlex, unlike my Share-revenues idea, qualifies as open source under the OSI Open Source Definition. At least I assume it would, since it has properties midway between BSD and GPL, both of which do. Unless I'm missing something? OSD compatibility, and OSI certification, seem like important advantages if the goal is to tap into the open source development community's energy and methodology (and I think that's the goal).