cc-bizcom - Re: [Cc-bizcom] Greetings list!

cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A discussion of hybrid open source and proprietary licensing models.

  • From: "Ryan S. Dancey" <ryand AT organizedplay.com>
  • To: cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-bizcom] Greetings list!
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:48:32 -0700

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 15:45 -0400, Marshall Van Alstyne wrote:

> >One of the stated aims of this list is to come up with an economic model
> >for this sort of thing (I think, I'm not an economist). Do you think it's
> >possible to quantify the effects of the OGL on WotC's revenue stream, or
> >is that the wrong way of looking at the equation?
>
> Let me echo Rob's observation here. We're definitely interested in
> quantifying/modeling dimensions of this.

It would be possible to conduct such modeling, if Wizards would release
quantifiable information about the unit sales volume of the core D&D
books, especially if that data could be combined with unit sales volume
data from the half-dozen major distributors to correlate with 3rd party
D20 product sales. Unfortunately, neither set of data points is, or is
every likely to be, available. :(

Ryan