cc-bizcom - Re: [Cc-bizcom] Greetings list!

cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A discussion of hybrid open source and proprietary licensing models.

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-bizcom] Greetings list!
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:15:13 +0100
On 14 Sep 2004, at 17:18, Ryan S. Dancey wrote:

Hello! My name is Ryan Dancey. I wrote the Open Gaming License for
Wizards of the Coast, and I host the Open Gaming Foundation web site &
email lists.

Hello Ryan.

I heard there was a discussion of the OGL here and dropped
by to offer any information that might be helpful.

Cool.

Regarding clause 5a, representation of authority to contribute. Creative Commons didn't put such a clause in the 2.0 CC licenses, which I thought was a shame. I've seen it in some other licenses and I've seen it waved at people who start fan projects to "OGL" a game based on someone else's IP a couple times. Does it that have a specific legal effect or is it just to remind people?

One thing that has struck me about OGL stuff is how little seems to get re-used. Is that just my perception, or if it's the case why do you think that is? There's so many RPGs, with so many similar rules systems, that it seems silly to re-invent the wheel each time. It's almost as if people enjoy doing it, but that can't be the case for commercial projects, surely.

Regarding the d20 license, I'm curious about the clause that means that d20 license publications can't include character creation rules. Some games that might otherwise be d20 have decided to be just OGL because of this, and I'm wondering if it would have been better to have a weaker requirement for d20 work and to rely on network effects from people getting to know d20 from these projects.

Thanks.

- Rob.