cc-bizcom - Re: [Cc-bizcom] ThinkCycle

cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A discussion of hybrid open source and proprietary licensing models.

  • From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall AT gmail.com>
  • To: CC BizCom <cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-bizcom] ThinkCycle
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:01:16 -0700

This is a really neat project... I saw a talk by the founder (or one
of them?) and he pointed out that IP issues are the most complicating
factors. For example, they've designed a set of eyeglasses that can
be manufactured with materials that are easily available in
third-world countries for about US$3 each.

However, a few projects have been bogged down with various IP
questions... like, how and where do you patent something that has been
designed by people in a dozen different IP regimes? Do you open
source it from the start... even if there is high potential for
capitalization (like the eyeglasses)?

very interesting stuff, Joe