cc-bizcom - Re: [Cc-bizcom] Dual Licensing

cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: A discussion of hybrid open source and proprietary licensing models.

  • From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall AT gmail.com>
  • To: CC BizCom <cc-bizcom AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-bizcom] Dual Licensing
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:20:50 -0700

Speaking as a FSF licensing volunteer and someone who heard Eben
Moglen himself say so yesterday at Stanford, I can say that the FSF
plans on releasing tools (under the GPL) and best practices documents
to allow developers of free and open source software to better keep
track of the pedigree of their code.

This is an issue with many projects, the kernel named Linux being the
most prominent and likely most difficult to eventually resolve. Other
projects (e.g., JBoss) have the same problem and copyright assignment
to one legal entity makes relicensing (under other FOSS licenses
and/or future versions of a current license) *vastly* less
complicated.

best, Joe