byte-of-python - Re: [Byte-of-Python] Choice of GUI toolkit in Python

byte-of-python AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion regarding the book 'A Byte of Python'

  • From: Sridhar Ratna <sridharinfinity AT gmail.com>
  • To: swaroop AT byteofpython.info, Discussion regarding the book 'A Byte of Python' <byte-of-python AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Byte-of-Python] Choice of GUI toolkit in Python
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:59:56 +0530

> It actually boils down to one question - if you are going to write a
> complicated GUI in Python, which of these toolkits would you use?

Btw,I am biased to PyGTK ;)

My critique about Wx is it's buggy (dunno about 2.5) and it is an
unnecessary extra layer over another cross-platform toolkit (gtk).
That's wxWidgets, and wxPython is another layer over it :)

Windows people cry about the look of PyGTK apps in Windows. They must use
this
http://gtk-wimp.sourceforge.net/screenshots/
I heard that getting gtk+ with threads to work on Windows is quite
troublesome.

Also IMO, the api of Gtk+ is very simple. There are free tools to
help you in glade development like Glade, ...
The best place to download gtk+,glade,.. libraries (which PyGTK
depends on) for Windows is http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/

--
Sridhar R - http://www.livejournal.com/~sridharinfinity
WWW: http://srid.rabio.com/