bluesky - Re: Think cash

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Peter Todd <retep AT penguinpowered.com>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Think cash
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 22:28:50 -0500

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 05:53:36PM -0800, Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 05:15:13PM -0500, Peter Todd wrote:
> > What happens when you want to do automated use of resources?
> > Everything that needs thinkcash can't be done by computer alone, quite
> > a disadvantage for many applicaitions IMO. For instance if there was
> > thinkcash on insertion how would you do something like data-based
> > redirects or automated mirroring?
>
> Well, you need to decide, the things that can be automated can be
> spammed. One issue is how this could be achieved in a system like

Unless we use something like hashcash...

> Freenet, when you are forwarding a message around, you don't want it to
> cost thinkcash every time it is transmitted from one node to another.
> The thinkcash would need to be tied to the CHK of the data being
> inserted.

Sounds like a easy avenue for a compromise... How can you verify that
the thinkcash used for the CHK hasn't been tampered with, say by
making it really easy?

A hashcash system could simply make a x-bit collision with the CHK
itself as verification.

--
retep AT penguinpowered.com http://retep.tripod.com