bluesky - Re: Think cash

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Ian Clarke <lists AT octayne.com>
  • To: Oskar Sandberg <md98-osa AT nada.kth.se>, Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Think cash
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 00:34:23 -0800

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 08:03:49AM +0100, Oskar Sandberg wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 09:18:04PM -0800, Ian Clarke wrote:
> <>=20
> > > When you aren't formalizing the problem -- like hash cash, client puz=
zles,
> > > Naor/Dwork's paying for processing -- you aren't establishing complex=
ity
> > > classes, in any sense, for the issues at hand. =20
> >=20
> > I am not sure what you mean here, but it sounds like you are saying that
> > there is no point in speculation. If that is the case, how do you ever
> > think of anything original or interesting?
>=20
> Ian, if people can't criticize or doubt ideas, how will we ever discuss
> anything original or interesting?

Of course people can criticize ideas, but what I was complaining about
(which may or may not be what was intended) was criticising an idea, not
on the basis of the idea itself, but on the basis that it is ambitious, or
that it is attempting to achieve something where a solution is not
immediately obvious.

It is the difference between saying "that won't work" and "you will never
find a solution".

Ian.