bluesky - Re: distributed immutable namespace

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: hal AT finney.org
  • To: bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: distributed immutable namespace
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 19:13:01 -0800

Justin Capweske writes:
> You could slow it down with a "hash cash" type protocol where a person
> would have to for example burn $100 worth of CPU cycles in order to
> register a top(ish) level domain. This is currently how the real DNS
> system works....maybe a very top level domain would cost $100M CPU cycles
> to register to avoid a completely flat name space.

Hashcash at this scale makes me wince; all those wasted cycles...

Verisign bought Network Solutions for 21 BILLION dollars. That gave
them a big chunk of .com, .org and .net. Can you imagine burning
through that much hashcash?

Hashcash is rent dissipation in action. It doesn't make economic sense
to sell assets for hashcash.

Better to set up some kind of global fund and let buyers pay real money,
then distribute the proceeds to everyone on earth. Or maybe use the
money to reduce global warming, or to save the whales. Anything is better
than flushing the money down the toilet, which is what hashcash does.

Hal