bluesky - Re: distributed immutable namespace

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Justin Chapweske <orasis AT acm.cs.umn.edu>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: distributed immutable namespace
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 20:36:11 +0000

> That's an interesting idea, but isn't there a danger that a first-come
> first-served policy will result in someone writing a script to reserve
> all one-letter, two-letter, three-letter words etc. as fast as he can
> generate keys?

You could slow it down with a "hash cash" type protocol where a person
would have to for example burn $100 worth of CPU cycles in order to
register a top(ish) level domain. This is currently how the real DNS
system works....maybe a very top level domain would cost $100M CPU cycles
to register to avoid a completely flat name space.

I love having these conversations on public mailing lists because you know
some bastard would patent these pretty obvious ideas otherwise.

--
Justin Chapweske, Lead Swarmcast Developer, OpenCola Inc.
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/swarmcast/