bluesky - Re: distributed immutable namespace

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: hal AT finney.org
  • To: bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: distributed immutable namespace
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:41:14 -0800

Another question on Adam's proposal:
> The idea is to try to create a global namespace
> collaboratively maintained by servers which audit each
> others behavior and compensate for rogue behavior in
> collaboration with client name server protocols.

Given that there are multiple servers, how do you deal with database
consistency? Specifically, what if two different servers both give
out the same name, to different people? Don't you ultimately need
a single server, or at least a global tightly-coupled database with
locking semantics? How efficient can that be?

Even if you design it to do this, how do you resolve disputes when two
servers both claim to have followed the rules but both somehow have
given out the same name? Now you need audit logs on your global
database so you can figure out which one is wrong.

I'm afraid that such a system would be limited in the volume of names
that it could handle. Maybe it would be OK if we envisioned it being
used for a relatively small number of TLDs, and then each of those
operates its own name service.

Hal