baslinux - Re: [BL] BL booted with grub4dos on drive with bad boot sector

  • From: "Ian" <info AT freedomnet.org.uk>
  • To: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL booted with grub4dos on drive with bad boot sector
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 21:15:27 -0000

On 6 Jan 2015 at 19:32, sindi keesan wrote:

> > I expect if you had changed your active partition from hda1 to hda2,
> > grub4dos would have
> > installed in hda2. I'm using gparted for changing the active partition
> > but it might be OK to
> > use Fdisk.
>
> The grub4dos installation program in puppy lets you choose where to
> install grub to. Usually it is mbr (hda) I think. DOS fdisk lets you
> make partition active (A), as does linux (c)fdisk.

What I meant was that grub4dos would put its files on the active partition.
It puts its referer
in the mbr, which points to grldr on the active partition . Grldr, reads
menu.lst and off it goes.
At least that's the way I thought it works.

> I think hda2 is the first partition because of some screwy setup that came
> with the computer, and I deleted its contents and used them for DOS, but
> grub4dos by default put menulst and grldr in hda1 (Win2K).

Presumably because hda1 was the Active partition? XP installs it's loader to
the active
partition, (learnt this the hard way) so I'm thinking that Win2k does the
same.

> I never knew grub could boot a disk with bad boot sector, or BL.

It can do all sorts of weird and wonderful things, which so far I never tried
out. And I
suppose it depends how bad the boot sector is.

> I am about to see if Google Chrome can be used on the desktop where I
> installed Grub in order to boot BL (and also installed puppy), without
> installing Chrome, from the directory it unpackages itself to. This works
> in BL with Opera (9.63) or Firefox (2.0). Comcast Internet 3MBps, without
> paid cable TV subscription, keeps suggesting that I watch their cable TV
> online (one device at a time), but insists on Flash 11.8, which is
> available in Ubuntu Chrome 38 (and probably 32) 46MB package, as Pepper
> Flash, but not as standalone past version 11.2. I am trying to wean our
> neighbor off $100/month cable TV. He only watches news. Tried to get him
> online with linux but ndiswrapper cannot handle the newish wifi card in
> the DELL laptop we gave him and I wanted it portable so he could watch
> 'TV' in different rooms. Ethernet in only the one room.

Niswrapper, seems a bit of a prayer. You could get him a usb wifi stick.
Chances are, Puppy
would have the module.

> BL experience has been extremely useful on a rooted Android phone.
> Busybox, ssh, dropbear, scp......... ssh client gets me to my sdf account
> where I can use lynx (which no longer seems to work on android phones).

BL experience was useful to me. I'm using Slacko 5.7 puppy now and still
wrestling with
Linux, but at least its not so completely opaque.

The lack of interest from Steven in taking BL forward, doomed it.

ian