baslinux - Re: [BL] BL booted with grub4dos on drive with bad boot sector

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL booted with grub4dos on drive with bad boot sector
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 02:03:15 +0000 (UTC)

For some reason on this computer, booting BL2 from DOS (after floppy boot to DOS) or with grub4dos, I get a screen without the login prompt and with some odd looking messages possibly related to memory, but I can switch Alt-F3 to a screen which lets me log in. First and second terminals are not usable after I log in but third and fourth are.

rc.d was the problem. It was installing mdacon which is not correct with
a vesafb kernel but lets you change text framebuffer modes with rivafb.

To boot to DOS:

title DOS (hda2) [sic]
root (hd0,1)
chainloader /io.sys

Probably root /dev/hda2
would also work.

I can also select to boot to 'Windows' which boots to DOS (from Win98).

This computer came with Win2k in hda1 where I left it. I shrank it and made a small hda2 with DOS (which is physically the first partition -- ???) but grub4dos installed to hda1 which is a pain since I have to boot to win2k to edit it. Make sure to install grub4dos to a non-ntfs partition.

To boot Win2K I need to choose Advanced Menu.
XP in similar setups boots as Windows. Odd.