baslinux - Re: [BL] Hello from Virginia...

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Hello from Virginia...
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 15:18:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012, neil tanner wrote:

Hi again from S.E. Virginia.? It's been a long time since I was here with the Basic Linux group.? I found you back in 2000/2001 and with some help from the folks here managed to install BL to an old toshiba laptop I had at the time.? I see some familiar 'faces' here from back then.? Right now I'm using Arch Linux on an "EMachine" but wouldn't mind setting up BL again.? I've just started looking thru the archives and noticed someone (maybe Sindi) mentioned loading an image on a flashdrive and someone else talked about running it in virtualbox.? Both look like good ideas.? Also, back when I was using BL on my toshiba, I had dial-up and it ran flawlessly but wondered how difficult is to set up using wifi?? All right....happy New Year and hope to be using BL again soon. Neil

Please set your mail program to send plain text without a second copy in HTML.

I have run BL from a zip drive and from a USB_storage camera by booting a single floppy version then mounting the other drive and chrooting to it. Zip drives are pretty slow. Running from the camera let me use svgalib viewer zgv to look at the pictures on someone else's computer (with floppy drive). I posted a small camera-linux package for svgalib, which works on CRT monitors. My camera card was 16MB so I omitted X and used svgalib viewer zgv. svgalib does not work well on LCD monitors. Other people have used it with qemu.

BL3 supports pcmcia airo_cs wireless and some orinoco cards.
Kernel 2.4 supports all orinoco cards. Non-cardbus.

I am online with BL3 loop version on a 233Mhz Compaq Armada where BL2 won't boot (crashes with some memory error with 2.4 kernel) even with 2.2.26 kernel (fatal: kernel too old) and BL3 must be booted nomce (machine check exception). Works okay but I forget why glibc programs won't run even after installing SW11 libc (can't execute...no such file or directory). Online with 10MB/sec 3com pcmcia ethernet card using pcnet_cs. Modified rc to swap /dev/hda3 as swap partition. 1GB hard drive also contains Win98SE (which on a desktop also 233MHz runs Opera 10, seems to depend on the hardware).

Lovely keyboard, excellent for email, and uses an actual heavy-duty grounded power cord not adaptor (transformer is interior) so you don't get the problem of flexing of the board and power jack solder breaking when used in bed. Also the floppy drive and battery come out to save weight, without losing the feet. They don't make them like this any more (for 1/10 the new price).

32MB onboard RAM used to let you browse most websites, with Opera 8.
I can ssh to sdf.org to use lynx or links2. I added 64MB.

Sindi Keesan