baslinux - [BL] DELL Latitude D600 network card and pcmcia problems BL2

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] DELL Latitude D600 network card and pcmcia problems BL2
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:35:28 +0000 (UTC)

The laptop is 1.4GHz and probably newer than my 2.4.31 kernel.
I compiled my own kernel modules for that kernel and also what was the latest pcmcia drivers at the time.

Built-in tg3.o network card works for a minute or so then stops working until I reboot. PCMCIA slot is cardbus. If I load pcmcia drivers without a card in the slot, all is well. With a card in the slot (I tried two non-cardbus network cards - Linksys wired and wireless) BL crashes while cs checks out 0x800 etc.

XP works with the onboard network card but I can't find the correct driver for the Linksys wired card (Win98 era). Puppy linux works with the onboard card, the Linksys wireless card, but not the wired card (loads pc_net.cs but nothing else happens). Also with a USB wireless card for which I do not have working BL drivers. (Won't compile with this combination of gcc, libc, and kernel).

The cards both work with BL in other computers. So something about the hardware is too new for BL with this kernel. I need to compile a newer kernel (2.6) for many reasons now.

Any ideas how to get the tg3.o driver to behave better in BL, or to stop pcmcia from crashing? Should I modify some file? I can't use this laptop online with BL. (Currently posting with pulp framebuffer console).

The onboard wireless is dead (or the switch may be broken?). Nice sound and LCD. Don't know if the modem is lucent.

Runs at 600MHz with 3.5A psu (it wants 4.6A).

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] DELL Latitude D600 network card and pcmcia problems BL2, baslinux, 04/06/2011