baslinux - [BL] BL2 crashes on 2006 DELL GX620

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 crashes on 2006 DELL GX620
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 19:58:33 +0000 (UTC)

The computer came with working XP, and it will run Puppy Linux from live CD. If I try to boot 2-floppy BL2 the second disk won't load, exits back to DOS. (This is a modified disk2). If I unplug the SATA drive and plug in an IDE drive, it will boot to BL2 but if I load USB storage drivers (kernel 2.4.31) and then plug in a USB flash drive, it crashes BL2.

On our other SATA computer I thought it was the SATA drive causing problems. Perhaps disabling the SATA controller would help, since SATA and USB are both SCSI-related. The boot sequence was floppy, CD-ROM, SATA, IDE. But the floppy drive was absent (and disabled) and the IDE drive was originally absent.

BL2 might still be usable on here (on IDE drive, changing boot sequence to switch between OS'es) without USB storage support, but I will try eventually to compile a 2.6 kernel with SATA support to fix the problem.

I can run BL2 on a 2003 HP with SATA controller (which I may have disabled in BIOS setup) and use USB storage devices. Except that it will not boot from IDE hard drive (does boot from floppy or CD-ROM drive, and loadlin works). I will check BIOS setup for boot sequence.

Anyway, expect problems running BL on a computer made 2003 or later with SATA controller and look carefully in BIOS setup.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] BL2 crashes on 2006 DELL GX620, baslinux, 04/05/2011