baslinux - [BL] cpu speed test

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] cpu speed test
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 02:24:30 +0000 (UTC)

I tried to compile a_speedtest for linux but it won't compile with BL2 (wants m4). This is supposed to test how fast a cpu works with floating point calculations. Can anyone suggest a linux test of actual speed which takes into account cache, under various uses such as editing large photos?

We were given an early 2002 (? with Windows ME) DELL Dimension 820 with 1.8GHz P4 (256/400) CPU (and RAMBUS memory - 2x128MB) and have a 2.4GHz (128/400) Celeron CPU from a dead eMachine (which come with older boards and low FSB but a high-MHz Celeron CPU to help them sell - they also tend to have exploded capacitors from overheating a small space).

The 256/128 is level 2 cache. I read that P4 are about 30% faster than Celeron of the same speed due to more cache. Games test out about 25% faster. The rated speed of our Celeron is 33% faster (2.4/1.8) so we put it in, but I would like some way to actually test.

This DELL Dimension 8200 came our way because, apart from being 10 years old, it had the wrong power supply (they bought a replacement with 2 instead of 1 4-pin plugs and with a power switch which kept it from fitting in the case, which they mangled, also they could only get in one screw, and the power plugs on short connectors tended to pull out when they opened the case) and it was taking forever to boot because it was looking for the second hard drive, which was not there, which caused it for some reason to also not find the first drive, which was there. Our other DELL Dimension with RAMBUS (a server) also has a hard time finding its drives (won't boot from CD, gets confused about whether the burner is hdc or hdd). These both require pairs of identical RAMBUS (800/45ns in this case - it also comes in 40ns, and in 400) or they beep instead of booting. Older DELL servers could accept one RIMM paired with one dummy.

The two computers are now working perfectly with BL2 apart from one not finding its CD-ROM drive predictably. Came with compatible CT sound, tulip video, vesafb video card, but probably non-linux Conexant modem.

I will see what Ultimate Boot CD has for testing speed.

Sindi Keesan