baslinux - [BL] pcmcia modem unusable, was Re: i810 sound on Toshiba 3000-S353

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] pcmcia modem unusable, was Re: i810 sound on Toshiba 3000-S353
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 22:40:24 +0000 (UTC)

This laptop comes with:

Two pcmcia slots
Onboard pcmcia orinoco wireless (ought to work with BL)

Onboard IR
No serial port

Onboard AMR modem (works in XP)

It appears to work with pcmcia ethernet cards.
It does not work with four different pcmcia modems, in BL (serial_cs:
registerserial() at 0x03f8, irq3 failed), Puppy (detects a modem at ttyS0, then if you probe that it is 'not detected' nor are other ttyS*) or XP ('not functional' - same for every modem).

I tried with IR enabled and disabled, with known good modems (that work in other laptops as ttyS2 = com3). I don't think there is a way to disable the onboard AMR modem.

I am guessing that the maker never bothered testing with a modem since they included a modem-facsimile (AMR) that does work (in Windows), and that the AMR modem and/or IR port are confusing the pcmcia controller somehow. It finds ttyS0 in Puppy, 0x3f8 in BL, and a non-functioning modem in XP (non-functioning ONLY in this laptop).

Supposedly when you insmod serial_cs you can specify port io address and irq and dma, etc. How do I determine what they actually are?

Would a USB modem work in BL?

Sindi Keesan