baslinux - [BL] USB CD writer problem

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] USB CD writer problem
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 20:01:33 +0000 (UTC)

To use an internal IDE CD burner you need to boot
appending hdc=ide-scsi. I changed it to sr0=ide-scsi

All CD burners are treated as scsi, even if IDE or USB.

After booting, load modules for scsi and USB
or use a kernel with built-in USB and SCSI drivers
(which I posted as bzlafbsu.431 - also supports fb, cb
and maybe sb -- about 800K).

Then

insmod ide-cd ignore=sr0
insmod ide-scsi
insmod usb-storage

(For IDE drives ignore=hdc and you don't need USB-storage)
(For SCSI drives, you don't need these three modules).

USB-storage finds sr0.

cdrecord -scanbus worked
A dummy run with cdrecord worked.

(Use SW81 not SW71 cdrecord and readcd to avoid
problems with copyright protection)..

********************A real burn did not work. *************

cdrecord: Input/output error. start/stop unit: scsi sendcmd
status 0x2 Not ready
Page full of error messages and it exits. A reboot and retry
did not fix this (sometimes things need resetting after dummy run).

The burner worked with Puppy Linux, with the drivers as modules.
I have used cdrecord with internal and external SCSI and internal IDE burners.

What am I missing? Does sr0 need to be recognized during boot (maybe using initrd.gz) for sr0=ide-scsi to work?

Someone with FreeBSD got similar error messages.

I have a nice lightweight 133Mhz Hitachi laptop that I use to download files at the library, with which I had hoped to burn CDs with this burner using BL (32MB memory won't run Puppy). But it won't even insmod sr_mod.o - complains about DMA. The 250MHz Toshiba loads the modules but won't burn. I have not tried a desktop.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] USB CD writer problem, baslinux, 02/08/2010