baslinux - Re: [BL] difficulty finding dependency

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] difficulty finding dependency
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:36:56 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi was going to direct me to the correct version of Opera 9.64. I am
going to try that version.

Please set your mail program to send plain text without UTF-8. 'mail' displays your one line of text as about 20 lines of garbage, and I had to switch to pine to read it.

Opera 9 uses about 50% more memory than 8. 9.6 more than 9.2. See archives.

The Slackware 8.0/8.1/9.0 package is already in .tar.gz format and requires at least glibc 2.2.5 (found in my operalib.tgz package, taken from SW8.1)

SW9.0 uses 2.3.1, which Steven recommends since it is the last Slackware glibc which works with kernel 2.2.

The Opera 10 beta that I downloaded was not qt-static but there is now a qt-static 10 final DEB package (the same size as the shared packages, which is suspicious). The SW9.1 and SW11.0 package are QT-shared, meaning you need libQt (which is large). SW9.1 through 11 glibc need kernel 2.4 (so does USB storage - cameras, flash drives).

When I checked off static QT and optionally also tar.gz and tried to download with links2, I got garbage instead of a download. The shared packages would download. Using links2. (Links 0.93 won't work with the links2 config).

If you have the memory for it, upgrade to glibc 2.3.6 from Slackware 11 instead of 2.2.5 or 2.3.1, and also try Seamonkey 1.1.17 and Firefox 2 (see my site for another library package). Slackware 12 glibc requires kernel 2.6. I posted several 2.4 kernels and modules for them.