baslinux - [BL] BL2 wish list

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 wish list
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:06:22 +0000 (UTC)

Will there be a BL4 with kernel 2.4 and glibc 2.3.6 that works with SW11 packages?

If so, what would other users like to have in it?

My wishes include:

cardbus support. I have it working with network cards, but I get an error of not finding IRQ for pins A and B when I try to use a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card (works in XP and Ubuntu on this 250MHz laptop) or three wireless cards (one of which is working here in XP and DSLinux). There are far more cardbus than 16-bit cards around now, many with linux drivers.
They work in my 133MHz Compaq (from 1997) and 200MHz Gateway but not the 133Mhz Hitachi or 166MHz DELL. I would like BL to support 12 year old hardware, and if possible even 6 year old hardware. (What year is SW11?).

an alternate kernel and maybe an alternate 2-floppy BL with framebuffer support and Xfbdev, for neomagic and savage video chips (used in 133MHz, 166MHz, 200MHz, 250MHz laptops), which don't work with Xvesa. (Xfbdev does not work with my Riva card). Neomagic works with the SVGA X server but it uses much more RAM. Kernel 2.2.27 not 2.2.26 (which has a nomce setting that prevents it from booting on Compaq Presario and Armada - or change the lilo settings). Or Kernel 2.4 and leave something else out.

XFree86 4.2 (Slackware 8.1?), or at least a more recent libX11, needed for some programs such as SJPhone. (The latest Xfree has a buggy savage video driver). Xfree has switched to a completely different system of modules rather than drivers and requires a 13MB download of the whole package, which is a pain.

Official packages:
dbclient (smaller than ssh)
sqlite3 (much more useful)

Someone recently gave us a fully working 300Mhz laptop (1999). And a nearly working 900MHz (from 2001? -the fix was to remove McAfee and hit Fn-F5 to get video on the screen). I know these will work with other linuxes (Slitaz, Puppy, want 128MB RAM) but I prefer BL.

Has anyone used BL on a laptop with built-in wireless? (mini-PCI)