baslinux - Re: [BL] installing BL3 to HD

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] installing BL3 to HD
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 19:43:17 +1200

Message from Steven
===================

> Specs: Zenith laptop with 4 MB RAM and a 385 MB HDD
> I managed to get BL3 onto 2 good Floppies and they boot
> up the laptop into that 4 MB RAM.

It sounds like you are trying to run the floppy version.
That version requires 12mb RAM. To run BL3 in 4mb RAM,
you should use the DOS version. For this you need a
bootable DOS partition (drive C:). I recommend you
make the DOS partition around 50mb (using DOS FDISK)
and leave the rest of the HD unpartitioned. You will
subsequently be able to install BL3 into the empty
space (thereby eliminating the need for DOS).

> Are a minimum of 2 partitions needed?

It is possible to run the DOS version of BL3 from a
single (DOS) partition. However, it will run better
from its own ext2 partition and a separate swap
partition.

> Seems like I'm running out of RAM and/or Virtual Memory.

With only 4mb RAM, you should also unzip the swap
file in C:\BASLIN (in the DOS version). This provides
temporary swap (until you are able to install BL3 to
its own partition and create a swap partition).

> What steps to I have to take to get BL3 loaded onto
> the drive?

Unzip the BL3 zip file into C:\BASLIN, unzip swap.zip
and execute BOOT. Use fdisk (in BL3) to create a linux
partition and then use mke2fs (in BL3) to format the
partition. Then all you need to do is mount the new
partition at /hd and execute install-to-hd.