baslinux - [BL] Firefox 3.5, was Re: Seamonkey upgrade and plugins

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Firefox 3.5, was Re: Seamonkey upgrade and plugins
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 19:57:49 +0000 (UTC)

A later Firefox or Seamonkey (GTK2) should work everywhere.
What files do we need for GKT2 and can someone post a package (glibc
2.3.6)?

Sindi Keesan

From Slackware 11 I found packages:
gtk-2.2.8 7.8MB
glib 2.2.10 1.3MB
pango 1.1.2 542K

Unlike firefox 1.5, firefox-bin is not a dynamic executable, i. e., ldd won't tell you the dependencies. I was guessing from Firefox 1.5 GTK2 that the latter two were needed along with GTK itself.

To run firefox bunzip and untar then

cd firefox
./firefox (wrapper)
tells me it is missing

libdbus-glib-1.so.2.1.0

Linuxpackages.net has this for SW11 in dbus-glibc-0.74-i486-1gdz.tgz

But this library requires libdbus-1.so.3 which Slackware 11 also lacks.
Someone suggested linking to so.2 (also lacking).
Linuxpackages does not seem to have the library (for SW11 anyway).

I have been unable to find it. There are versions for ruby and python and we need it for glib, I think.

Some web research confirmed that the library is needed by Firefox.

Seamonkey 2 is an even larger download (13-14MB) than Firefox (10MB).