baslinux - Re: [BL] Experiences with BasicLinux - the down side

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Experiences with BasicLinux - the down side
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:09:39 +0200

> I simply mirrored the libc5 and glibc21 TinyX server packages from Xorg.
> For BL3 use the libc5 i810 server (and Steven's package no-xvesa for
> adding standard X, which adds and modifies a few things besides changing
> servers). BL3 uses libc5-based X libraries.

Where do i find this "libc5 i810 server"? None of the servers on the page
explainig "How to Replace Xvesa" have an "i810" in their name or suggest
otherwise they could be the proper server. And if i found this server, could
i use it with a 2.2 kernel?

> 2.4 kernels never worked for me in the DOS loop version of BL3 except in
> read-only mode. They work if you boot to an ext2 partition. But you can
> use a 2.2 kernel with BL3.50.
>
> Nobody could tell me the reason, but the solution is to:
>
> 1. use 2.2 kernel with BL3.50 (and libc5, or glibc 2.1 or 2.2 or 2.3.1)
> 2. install to ext2 partition and use 2.4 kernel if you want USB storage
> support. The loop version is for learning on and is small.

Do i get you right, that a 2.4 kernel simply can't use a loop device as root?
If so, this is rather strange, because this DOES work:

losetup /dev/loop1 /DOS/baslin/fs.img
mount /dev/loop1 /mnt

Mounting the very same file on /mnt doesn't seem to be any problem, just
mounting it as root, fails. What's so different with the root device?
Even this fails:

mount /dev/loop0 / -o remount,rw
mount: Mounting /dev/loop0 on / failed: Permission denied

What permissions, other than being "uid=0(root) gid=0", could it take, to
successfully complete such an operation?

> The following I think means you are running the loop version (from a DOS
> baslin directory). And that you upgraded gcc when you switched kernels.
> 2.95.3 has worked well for me. What is senior2.16?
>
> > /<#>cat /proc/version
> > Linux version 2.2.26 (root AT senior2.16) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66
> > 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #6 Fri Nov 11 17:21:34 NZDT 2005
> > /<#>cat /etc/mtab
> > /dev/hda5 /DOS msdos rw 0 0
> > /dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
> > /dev/root.old /initrd ext2 rw 0 0
> > none /proc proc rw 0 0

Yes indeed, i am running it from a loop device. I didn't touch gcc, i haven't
even installed one. And i don't know either who "senior2.16" is. This is just
the message i get from the original 2.2 kernel which came with the zip-file.
So if you don't know, who "senior2.16" is, who else could know it?

> Can you replace onboard video with an AGP or even PCI video card?

Of course i can. I could even buy an entirely new computer with some sort of
Microsoft Windows alread installed on it. :-)
But that's not the kind of solution i'm looking for.

Verschicken Sie SMS direkt vom Postfach aus - in alle deutschen und viele
ausländische Netze zum gleichen Preis!
https://produkte.web.de/webde_sms/sms